Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My first look into a special place




The Mittens at Sunrise
Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park


I'm not one to join a group or be around a lot of people, but a couple of years ago I decided to take a chance and went on a photo workshop in northern Arizona. We spent our time in a place I had heard about, but didn't know much about.
This is a simple image of the "Mittens" and it's the first image I ever took in that special place called Monument Valley.


It's a vista seen by almost everyone before. It's a place that's difficult to make special and different. But this one is special because it's mine. I was there; I waited for the sun to come up; I felt the chill of the cold valley morning; I cleaned the red rock dust from my lens; and every time I look at it, even though the image might not be that different from others, I'll never forget the feeling I had at that one moment in time.



Since that trip, I've gone back. I had to. Not just to take more pictures, but to try and share that feeling with my two favorite travelers. Hope they got it.