Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Version of Ansel's




The New Church at Taos Pueblo

One of the things I like doing when we go to places in the West is to visit the same places that Ansel Adams did many years ago.

There might be changes to the locations, like a parking lot added or a couple of extra crosses on top of a church, but essentially you can still find many of the same iconic places that Ansel found first.

I purposefully don't study his images so I won't copy them, but then after I make my pictures it's always exciting to look at the way he saw things and compare them to the way I saw that same place. Not that I'm even thinking of comparing my skills to his, but just to know that he thought this place special enough to set up his camera makes it special for me.

(By-the-way...mine's on the bottom and his is on the top, but if you didn't know that then maybe I'm getting better at this.)