Friday, July 1, 2011

650 was her name

Of all the times I've been to the Western states, I've never seen a bear. Everyone who goes out there always tells me stories about the bears they've seen, but not me.

At least not until our trip this spring to the Grand Tetons National Park and Yellowstone National Park.

I was out at sunrise one morning looking for something to take pictures of, but the morning was grey and the color was bad, and I headed back to the room. While rounding a curve in the two lane road, a delivery truck was blocking most of my side of the road and I had to go into the other lane. Paying attention to the truck and the curve, I didn't see what was coming up on the driver's side of my car just a few feet outside my window.

A bear. Finally. A big one. A grizzly. And she had two newborn cubs with her climbing a nearby tree.

I set up my camera and started shooting. Before long, several other cars had stopped and a couple of park rangers came to aid in the "bear jam". I stayed there for about 45 minutes; then rushed back to pick up Denise and Sloan at our room. When we got back she was still there trying to figure out how to get her cubs down from the tree. Eventually, they came down and all of them scurried off into the trees leaving us in awe.

The rangers knew her and were waiting to see how she made it through the winter. Her name was 650; and I'm glad I met her.