Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Trillium Lesson

One of the things I look forward to each spring is taking pictures of the trillium in the woods. Don't know why; I don't really like taking pictures of flowers; but it seems like this is just a passage of winter into spring for me.

I had pretty much given up on finding the trillium this year because of the strange spring weather we had. I looked for them whenever I drove past a stand of trees, but they were never there.

I didn't see any of them at all, that is not until yesterday.

First I saw a patch of white on the hillside along the road, turned around to make sure, and then stopped. The slopes were covered with them.

And here lies my little lesson to myself...

I gave up on them. I didn't look hard enough. I knew they came out about the first of May, but I didn't go looking for them.

Trouble with this image is the blooms are old. Not very old, maybe just a day or even less from their prime. They are wilted and gone for the year already. I could have maybe made something special out of this place if I had only saw it just that little bit earlier.

I can't make that special image sitting on the couch. I have to get out and work for it.