Monday, September 30, 2013

Remember Me

 
View from Hunt's Mesa into Monument Valley
We used to take all of our pictures of the family or the vacation and get them printed at the local drugstore to show off to friends. But then what did  you do with them? If you were like us, you started putting them in special albums, thinking you would keep them forever.

Then the magic wore off of putting them in the albums. The second kid came along, or the second trip to Disney wasn't as special as the first, or things just got to busy. The pictures ended up in a box. The box got full and hidden away in a closet. The pictures got forgotten about.

But they're still there. Someday our kids will be cleaning out our house and find them.

What do you do now? There isn't that box anymore. Now it's the cellphone picture put on Facebook or on a hard drive somewhere. Just pixels floating around to be forgotten about and lost forever when the old computer is replaced with the shiny new one.

I don't want that to happen with my images. I want my kids and grand kids to see what I worked on for all those years, and to share with their kids what old grandpa did. I don't know if it will ever be kept or passed on, but I have a new project in mind. I'm going to take all of my best images and put in a book; something tangible to touch, feel, and look at. Not a pile of pixels, but something on paper.

The image above will be in that book. I don't know what the book will be like yet, or what its name will be, but hopefully it will be around longer than me and someone will look at it and think about me once in a while.


.