Monday, August 1, 2011

Making Time for Art

Portion of Newspaper Rock, Southern Utah
In my last post, I considered how much time the residents of Mesa Verde had to spend just surviving. Time had to be precious to them with very little to spare.

Yet everywhere in the southwest are panels of petroglyphs with amazing representations of animals and people, and designs not easily understood.

I've heard is said that these may be maps of sort; or territorial claims; or sign posts meant for others. And then there are others who feel they may be simply just art.

I like to think of them that way. That they are art, for maybe just art's sake.

I also like to think that even then, with everything that had to be done to survive, the artist found time to express themselves on the walls. For others to see and appreciate.

Maybe that's what I'm trying to do.