Monday, August 29, 2011

Second Chance Unfullfilled

Lower Falls of the Yellowstone
It seems like I talk about second chances a lot, and this is another one of those images that have a story about second chances.

The first time Denise and I were in Yellowstone National Park (when this picture was taken), I read that every day at 9:00 in the morning a rainbow can be seen at the bottom of this falls.

We got up early and drove to this overlook in anticipation of the rainbow and were the only ones there except for one plein aire artist.

The only problem was that it was COLD. After several minutes waiting, I thought we had missed the rainbow; took this shot; and went for breakfast.

We stopped there about an hour later and the artist (who hung in there despite the cold wind) told us "sure missed a nice rainbow".

I kicked myself for leaving and promised myself that if I ever got back to Yellowstone, I would see that rainbow no matter how cold it was. I needed that second chance.

One trouble with the next trip---It was this spring and we were stuck in a Memorial Day snow blizzard on the other side of the park and could never get to this side. Missed it again.

I'll probably never make it back to Yellowstone again, but if I do I'll need a second chance at my second chance.