Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pickle Boats

My daughter, who was home from college in the spring, planted a garden in our backyard. Sadly, she left it to me to tend while she went away to volunteer at a camp. Not having the time to care for it, I could only salvage two lone cucumbers from all of the work she put into it.

Those two cucumbers made me think of something though. They took me back to when I was a kid.

One of the things we kept ourselves busy with was to go into the garden and take the old, yellow cucumbers; carve out the inside (somewhat like you'd do with a pumpkin on Halloween); add toothpicks for seats and masts; and make yourself a boat.

Taking those boats to the creek I talked about a few blogs ago, would keep us busy for hours sailing them down the stream and following them into the woods around the curves and over the ripples.

We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid. We didn't have Nintendo; or eighty-seven channels on TV; or a Mall nearby we could go to. But we did have our imaginations.

And we had our pickle boats.