Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tradition

Basillica of the Sacred Heart, University of Notre Dame
In my real job as a project manager for a large construction company, one of my main clients is the University of Notre Dame. I'm often on campus several times a week and can never get over the feel of the place.

The campus has a sense of it's own. It has the history of it's football team of course, but it's the look and the feel of the old buildings that always make me happy to be there.

The new work we do on campus is unlike any work we do anywhere else. All of the new buildings are designed to fit into the scheme of all of the other buildings. The trim; the doors; and the other finish work we do are like no other place we work.  They are built to last 100 years; not to be used and thrown away after only a few.

Tradition lives on in those buildings. I hope those 18 year old kids who go there appreciate what they have.

.