Monday, November 28, 2011

An Exit Plan



 Les Chenaux Coastline
Michigan UP


Most of the time when I'm off looking for interesting places and things to photograph I'm alone. If you've read the last few blogs, you know that this is my favorite time; all alone with the rocks and the trees.



But sometimes it's probably not smart to do that. Often I'm in areas frequented by bears; often I'm off on a trail into the wilderness; often I tend to do things I shouldn't. The solitude is what I'm after, but I know I shouldn't be there by myself.

This image's location doesn't look that bad, but right after it was taken I fell going up the rocky bank on the way back to the truck and jammed my shoulder (I like to say I broke it for dramatic effect). It scared me enough that I immediately cut short my trip and drove the eight hours directly home.

But that's not the weird part. Ever since that fall, I've begun doing something on my trips that Denise thinks is crazy. While walking, I come up with an "exit plan". A "what if" plan. A kind of "Hansel and Gretel" plan.

But not for me, for my equipment.

I always figure I can crawl out if I have to, but not necessarily with my camera in tow. My exit plan always includes what rock I would hide the camera under; what tree I could hang my backpack in; and how would I tell someone where to find it.

I haven't figured out a good way yet. Maybe bread crumbs weren't such a bad idea after all.



.