Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My Limit

I found out a couple of things about myself at Zion a couple of weeks ago.

Halfway to Angel's Landing
I took a hike to somewhere I've wanted to go the past two times I've been there, a hike to Angel's Landing. If you don't know the place, it's a two and a half mile hike each way that goes up almost 2,000 feet; winding it's way up and over rocks and trails that at times you can't believe they would let normal people use. They're not much into handrails in this part of the world.

Sounds bad, but that's the easy part. The real troubling part doesn't even start until the last half mile. Then it's over very narrow ledges of rock with only a chain to hang onto and that 2,000 feet on each side to the bottom.




But back to what I found......Two things.

One, that I'm getting old.
Or at least my knees are. I felt this one for more than a few days afterwards.

And two, my limit.
That last half mile was too much for me. I sat, had my lunch with the chipmunks, looked it over, but I couldn't talk myself into it. Ever since then I've had mixed feelings about it. Been kicking myself  for not trying, but been proud of myself for giving up.

Maybe that takes me back to found thing number one. I am getting older...and smarter.


.