Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Special Times

We just got back from Zion National Park and it was everything I hoped for.

The weather was perfect, the crowds were small, and it was Zion.

This is the view of the Watchman, the mountain in the background, and the Virgin River from a small bridge.

It's one of the most iconic images of Zion and the one that everyone takes. I visited this spot twice on this trip, once the very first time I set up my tripod and once the very last time I set it up when this image was taken.

The first time was in the evening at sunset and there were so many tripods fighting for a spot that it spoiled the night. That's just the opposite of what I want on these trips, people instead of solitude. The absolute best times are when it's just me, alone without anyone else around, roaming the rocks and canyons, feeling like I'm the only one in the world. It happens rarely, but when it does it's the best feeling I can imagine.

Me, the rocks, an occasional beaver.
Special.

.