Saturday, November 12, 2011

Zion Canyon and It's Two Little Sisters

East Side Zion National Park
There are essentially three "sides" of Zion National Park. The main Zion Canyon that everybody knows and two others, the East Side and Kolob Canyon.

Everyone who visits Zion goes to the Canyon. It's the only place the shuttle buses go and it gets all of the attention. Hardly anyone goes to Kolob Canyon since it's about an hour drive to the north side of the park, and very few go to the East Side unless you're coming into the park from that direction.

On previous trips I was like that too. I honestly never heard of Kolob Canyon before this trip and had only spent a little time in the East.

This time we had more time to explore the two others and found them fascinating. They both are different worlds altogether from the main Canyon and both offer views like none other.

It's a shame they don't get more attention. They deserve it.


As a little side story, Denise and I have this little running debate on this thought---
I like to think that all things in nature have feelings; the rocks and trees and mountains and rivers and everything else. I always think of how they feel, what they are thinking. In this instance with the three parts of Zion, do the two left out sides of the Park feel jealous of their big sister, the Canyon? Or are they happy to be left alone like I am when I'm with them?
By-the-way, Denise thinks I'm crazy.

.